Saturday 5 November 2016

Four drugs suspects arrested in Lagos while traveling to China, Indonesia

FILE PHOTO
Officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency have arrested four suspected drug traffickers smuggling narcotics weighing a total of 8.745 kilogrammes to China, Indonesia, and Qatar.
In a statement on Friday, the agency said the suspects were arrested at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, with the drugs comprising cannabis 5.200kg, cocaine 1.415kg, and methamphetamine 2.130kg.
Two of the suspects were going to China, one to Indonesia and another to Qatar, destinations where drug trafficking is punishable by death, the NDLEA said.
Peter Aniebue, who sells clothes at Aswani market in Lagos, allegedly inserted eleven wraps of cocaine weighing 460 grammes into his anus while Sokpe Zubbye, 37, a freight forwarder from Anambra State, allegedly ingested 955 grammes of cocaine. Both suspects were going to China.
Hyacinth Ugwuezumba, 38, who deals in musical instrument at Alaba market, Lagos, was also caught with 2.130kg of methamphetamine. Mr. Ugwuezumba allegedly ingested 36 wraps weighing 570 grammes and packed 1.560kg in his luggage on his way to Indonesia.
The other suspect, James Obinna, 30, an Aluminium fabricator in Umuahia whose destination is Doha, Qatar, was found in possession of 5.2kg of cannabis.
“All four suspects are under investigation and would be charged to court soon,” said Ahmadu Garba, NDLEA Commander at the Lagos airport.
The NDLEA quoted Mr. Zubbye, who was caught with a Ghanaian passport and whose real name is Nzube Chukwudi, as saying he was promised N1 million to smuggle the drugs.

I work in China as a freight forwarder and I am married with two children,” Mr. Zubbye said.
“Due to the recession, I am having difficulty in settling my bills and I was lured into drug trafficking while seeking for assistance.
“Since I live in China, I felt it will be easy for me to go through security checks but unfortunately I was caught.”
Mr. Aniebue, 50, blamed his involvement on financial predicament, according to the NDLEA.
“I was afraid of swallowing the drug so I inserted eleven wraps of cocaine weighing 460 grammes into my anus,” he said.

Source: PremiumTimes

No comments:

Post a Comment