Wednesday 2 November 2016

Vieira-Wenger never offered me managerial advice

Arsene Wenger Patrick Vieira Arsenal
Patrick Vieira has revealed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger never “showed him the way” into management and thinks it is a shame how many former players leave the club to become successful coaches elsewhere.

Vieira, who was part of Wenger’s team in their most successful period under the Frenchman, is now manager of New York City FC after working with Manchester City’s youth teams.

Freddie Ljungberg is currently an under-16s coach at the Emirates but he is the only ex-player that remains involved with the club from the famous Invincibles side, following Thierry Henry’s departure over the summer.

And Vieira admits that Wenger had no influence on his coaching career and would like to see more former Gunners players coaching at the club.
“I’m not saying Arsene didn’t give me the desire to manage. He might have done so without me realising, but he never guided me, never showed me the way,” Vieira told France Football.

“I don’t know if he did with the ones you mentioned or if (Alex) Ferguson did it with the Nevilles (Gary and Phil), (Mark) Hughes, (Steve) Bruce…

“Maybe Arsene wanted his former players to do it on their own. I find that a bit of a shame because all those who left Arsenal and who are managers always got on well with him. It’s a bit sad to not see old players in Arsenal’s staff, and I’m not talking about the first team.

“There’s only Freddie Ljungberg. Those you mentioned all have something in common. They love the club. After that, it’s not because we played at Arsenal that we deserve to be manager. All is earned, but the desire is there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment